Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Color of the Season



ORANGE ORANGE ORANGE
The color of the season is of course Orange!!!  Especially in San Francisco (GO GIANTS!!) ... and at Halloween time.

I feel like I eat squash every day once it is in season. It's a warm comfy feeling to finally overload on beta carotene. I have to admit, some days I just roast Delicata Squash 'til crunchy like chips. And then eat them over the cutting board. No plate needed!
Or I'll just bake a Red Kuri Squash... sprinkle with pumpkin pie spices, extra cinnamon, maple syrup or honey and eat with a spoon. Out of the pan, on the cutting board. While standing. Does squash really have to be a fancy treat?! It's raining and you're in your pajamas right?

However, some days I do like to put in the extra effort, and I do want my orange balanced out with eye popping colors. 

I roasted two types of squash: 
            Cubed Butternut Squash, and Delicata Squash cut into half moons.
                           -Drizzle with:    Honey
                                                    Salt
                                                    Olive Oil
                         Then roast until tender in a 400 degree oven. 
On a separate pan I roast:
                                     Onions
                                     Parsnips
                                     Mushrooms
                        Add rosemary, thyme, tinyyyy bit of cumin, paprika, kosher salt, pepper, and much 
                        more olive oil.

When all vegetables are tender and starting to get a little caramelized, take out of the oven. Drizzle with pomegranate seeds, cilantro or parsley (your taste preference), and a few sprigs of arugula. 

Health benefits: Beta Carotene overload! No need for lots of carbs because the squash is so filling. Antioxidents from the Pomegranate. Add some toasted pumpkin seeds or toasted almonds for a little protein and fat. Greens because duh, everything green is good for you (Minus a Starbucks Green Tea Latte)!

Beautiful! I felt like I made my favorite fall veggies feel fancy and dressed up. Your welcome squash and parsnips, your welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment