Friday, August 20, 2010

Momma always told me if I didn't wash behind my ears I'd have a corn patch grow... yes please!

First thing I like to do to kick my summer off right.... buy corn.
It's quintessential to eat as much corn during the summer months because before you can change into shorts and pleat your hair, summer is gone.
My first corn of the season..... well it was basically a whole corn slightly browned in a cast iron pan with cayenne and garlic.
Simply eaten whole.
weblogs.baltimoresun.com

Then I had to start mixing up the recipes because corn is best off the cob too.

Now look at this awfully ugly dinner I made!!!! But guess what? It was so satisfying.
Healthy... All my favorite veggies.... some roasted and seasoned garbanzos underneath for protein.... complete! (The garbanzos are hidden so it wouldn't look like a compete mosh pile of food. When you are cooking for one, and nobody is there to share, I feel that getting all your nutrition is important. No showiness needed)
cornsweetpotato.jpg picture by Colchester48

Corn Hash My Way:

-Corn on the cob
-Zucchini
-Sweet potato
-Cherry Tomatoes
-Lots of garlic
-Parsley
- Spices like cayenne, paprika, cumin
-Beans.. or Rice... or whatever you want as a "bed" for the hash
-optional - Poached/Fried egg on top... mmmm, I wish I would have done that!!
- bacon

-- Steam Corn and sweet potato so that they are soft*.
-- Saute with your choice of olive oil or butter (bacon, if non-veggie) in cast iron pan for a few moments, and until edges brown.
-- Then throw in garlic, cayenne, cumin, paprika, chili's (if you have them), and s+p, then place in oven. Roast until lightly golden.
-- Add parsley, and scallions.

Add more olive oil to taste. And top with a fried or poached egg if you wish.

*This helps the harder sweet potato roast at the same time as the softer ingredients like the zucchini and tomatoes.




More Corn recipes later before I am sick of the taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment